Residential and commercial plumbing, heating and A/C services. Serving Snohomish and King Counties since 1954.

  24/7 Service - Talk To Someone Now

Selecting the Right Furnace: The Factors You Should Consider

Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Selecting the Right Furnace: The Factors You Should Consider

Thinking about a new furnace? If so, there are some important factors to consider before purchase and installation. At Day & Nite Plumbing & Heating, Inc., we have decades of collective experience with every type of furnace imaginable. Here’s some advice from us on how to select the right furnace.

Are some furnaces superior to others?

Absolutely. Efficiency is of course the biggest measuring stick that differentiates one furnace from another, but there are other important features your new furnace should possess. These include corrosion-resistant heat exchangers, pressure switches, induced draft blowers, direct-drive blower units, and, to minimize noise, an insulated blower compartment.

Another way to weed out good furnaces from great is to review the furnace’s limited warranty. As with any product, a trusted manufacturer will have no problem backing up its craftsmanship with a rock-solid warranty. And speaking of the manufacturer, you should also confirm that tests and quality checks are performed on each furnace before it leaves the manufacturer’s plant.

Does size matter?

When you shop for the perfect furnace, you’ll want to ensure that the size of your home aligns with the furnace’s heat output. This heat output, in turn, needs to integrate flawlessly with your home’s ductwork to guarantee the right amount of hot air is funneled through the system in order to provide consistent heat. A furnace that’s too small won’t generate enough heat, and a furnace that’s too big will waste fuel (and money).

Just how important is efficiency?

If you’re like most American homeowners and are looking for ways to shrink your carbon footprint while saving money, then finding an efficient furnace is critical. Here’s one way to look at it: furnaces from decades ago only operated at a 30% annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE), meaning that only 30% of every dollar spent on heating was actually well-spent. The other 70% was wasted. As technology advanced, furnaces 10 – 20 years ago approached a 75% - 80% AFUE. Today, the most efficient furnaces boast AFUEs of 90% all the way up to 98%, incorporating the latest advancements to maximize your investment and significantly reduce your monthly heating bill. Some of the most important advancements are:

  • An electronic ignition instead of a continuously burning pilot light
  • Two-stage valves to control fuel flow. These ensure that the furnace runs high when first turned on and then reduces its run-rate to maintain a consistent temperature.
  • A programmable thermostat that allows the homeowner to customize the home’s heating cycle, thereby reducing monthly cost

What traits do all quality furnaces share?

Regardless of the manufacturer, the highest-quality furnaces share many of the same traits. These include:

  • High efficiency
  • Low maintenance frequency and cost
  • Dependability
  • Reliability
  • A warm, comfortable home all season long

For help in selecting and installing your next furnace, contact Day & Nite Plumbing & Heating, the preeminent heating and plumbing company serving Martha Lake, WA.


when you subscribe for tips & special offers

$40 Coupon Sign Up
*Some restrictions and limitations apply. Not valid with any other offer. Limit one per customer.

PlumberTalk Blog

Why Is My Furnace Blowing Cold Air?

Monday, October 08, 2018

Here at Day & Nite Plumbing and Heating, we know that it can be frustrating when your HVAC equipment isn't working correctly. You just want your home to be comfortable, but occasionally you end up with an uncooperative system that doesn't seem to do what you want it to. One particular piece of equipment we focus on during the fall and winter is the furnace. This part of your HVAC system is meant to keep you warm, but what do you do if it's blowing cold air?  ...

Read More  

Do it right, call Day & Nite!

Day & Nite Plumbing & Heating is a locally owned and operated family business. We care about our customers and stand behind our work. Your comfort and safety are our top priorities.